Saturday, December 6, 2008

Starting a Online Business

Some of you may know I have a website: www.internetyogaclass.com but I'm sure the majority of you don't! I wouldn't say it failed, but I didn't do things the correct way. I learned a lot from it, and thought I'd share. I think the raw food movement is so exciting because it opens up a new industry! There is SO much room for new raw food businesses, websites, products, and restaurants. Just go to the grocery store and look at the variety of products that are NON-raw! Look at the restaurants that are NON-raw!One of the things that makes this country great (United States) is all of the variety and options of choices we have to buy things. So, there is no room for jealousy or not helping each other out! I would love it if there were too many raw food restaurants or products to choose from! While getting the film industry to Michigan has been a step in the right direction (let's stop depending on the auto industry or the government and start fixing our economy ourselves!) for this state, we still need MORE businesses and industries. I know, I know, it's the government that gives companies tax breaks...but really, do you think the politicians and the government will give tax breaks or salary cuts to the politicans....unless we as the citizens demand it? There are a lot of powerful and wealthy people in Michigan-we can make a change if we wanted! So, back to the topic of an online business. Here are some tips and things I've learned:

1. Don't spend too much time worrying about copyright or people copying your idea! Just get the product and the idea out there and running. If anyone actually wants to buy it, than you can worry about the legal issues. Getting traffic to your site doesn't happen overnight! So, in other words, JUST DO SOMETHING! The rest will fall in to place!

2. If you don't know how to build traffic to your site, or you don't want to spend the time learning-make sure you devote the majority of your money to getting traffic and search engines. I know I said to just start your site and not worry about the details, and that is true-EXCEPT on this topic. You MUST know how to do this part! I don't want to say you shouldn't make an online business if you don't know how to do this as anything can happen and I don't want to discourage people's dreams-BUT, just be aware it's not likely and/or it would be extremely hard! Ideally it's better to do this yourself, but if you can't, you need to find someone you can trust who will do it. Don't just think your site will take off by word of mouth-this can happen, but it takes a long time and it's a full-time job! There are all kinds of tips and techniques to make your website noticed, and as you can tell...I am still learning!

3. If you are going to have employees, make sure you have a written contract. I can't tell you how many times my employees tried to go back on something we agreed on, but I had it in writing! Not to mention it will separate the ones who are serious about your agreement. Anyone can agree verbally to do something, but if it's in writing-it makes it more difficult to agree to do something you have no intention of really doing! Writing it down makes people think about what they are agreeing to!

4. If you expect things to happen overnight, than don't do it! Be prepared and embrace your mistakes! Let them motivate you, not discourage you (I need to remind myself of this one often!)

5. Don't waste time asking people what they think about your idea, unless maybe it's anonymous! Most people may genuinely like your idea, but that doesn't mean they'd actually use it. Or, they may be too nice to admit they wouldn't. If you think it's a good idea and it's been done before, than by all means go for it. If it's something completely new and you have nothing to compare it with, than it's a bit of a gamble and you can do all the research in the world...but again, the best way to learn is by doing! (which takes us back to tip #1 and 4)


That's all I can think of for now, but if anybody else has any ideas or advice, please feel free to share it with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison... :-)

Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment!

That prompted me to come by your blog and see what you're up to. You have a number of insightful thoughts on a variety of topics.

I looked at your Internet Yoga Class site. Have you given up on it? I hope not. Looks to me like it has some serious potential. Yoga is a huge market. I'd love to chat with you some time about your experience with that. What worked, what didn't work, what kind of results you got, etc. & compare notes. Who knows, maybe we could help each other out?

Just the fact that you're out there taking ACTION leaves no doubt in my mind that you'll succeed. :-)

Take care,

Chuck

Alison said...

Thanks!

You know, I'm not sure how to answer that.

By all normal standards you could say I've given up on it...in fact, the only reason it is still around is I forgot I had the domain on auto-renew (I was going to let it lapse)

But, here I am working on my michiganrawfood blog and website, so I suppose in a way that is working on my yoga website also because I have some links to it.

Feel free to contact me with questions, I'm at yahoo on michiganrawfood@yahoo.com or aim punkeallie21

I'm definitely not an expert, but I'm always willing to try to help out!