Sunday, July 20, 2008

Alissa Cohen class, and Bucket List, and Detroit oh my!

Weekend update! Ever since I moved over to blogger I haven't posted as much. I don't know why, but it feels more cold than bravejournal! I guess I've always preferred the underdog!

Anyways, it was also an eventful weekend! I took the Raw Food Instructor course for Alissa Cohen's website on Friday. My instructor Beth (her website: http://www.rawteacher.com/bethwilke) was very informative and obviously lives what she teaches. She was ridiculously fit, and did not look her age. At first glance, you might think she was too skinny-but she wasn't-she looks very healthy. Definitely an example of raw food health. I recommend a class from her. Even if you don't care about learning about raw food-than go for the food she makes! You won't belive it's raw food, and not regular stuff.Unfortunately it was a bit of a drive for me and I was pretty late! I hope to teach my own classes in the downriver area, so stay tuned. There really aren't any other teachers in Michigan besides Beth and a few others, so there is more than enough opportunity for all of us to teach! But, it will be a while before I'm ready to teach. I still have a lot to learn.

Beth's class really opened my eyes to one of my problems with going 100% raw. What she said made a lot of sense. When you are first starting out, add more raw food recipes-make food that tastes and looks like regular food.

I would always start out with 100% raw-juicing, or fruits and vegetables. I hate making recipes,and thought I'd have the willpower to go all raw right away, without making foods like my former comfort food. But I always crack and go back to regular foods. I think I'm going to have to get a good recipe book-and I have to say, I really liked Alissa Cohen's recipes that Beth used. I will have to buy one!

After the class I watched the Bucket List. I have to say I had a hard time hearing it because they mumbled, and I had some people who were talking really loud while we were watching it. BUT what I did get from it, was these older men with terminal illness decided to chuck experimental medicine and just go crazy doing all the things they hadn't done in their life.

I found that incredibly sad. One, because Jack Nicholson looked AWFUL. And two, I believe in living every day like it IS your last. How sad to wait until you dying to live life to the fullest?

I may not have a conventionl life...I do not have a white picket fence and the 2.5 kids and a dog. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.

A lot of times I would get mad-why can't my boyfriend and I make a living for ourselves? Why CAN'T we have a family and home?

But it's been a blessing. Nothing is in our life that we did not create. I created this life, as much as I hate to admit that. Look at the "problems" in your life right now. Look at them GOOD. Were they or were they not what you actually wanted at one point?

I say that because I did not want a relationship or marriage. I wanted a career. I wanted to do things the hard way. I have no one to blame but myself! But, I think I did it for a reason. I have learned so much about myself and life by not getting settled into a regular life. I think I knew deep down I needed something else!

I have studied in Italy at a moment's noticed. Lived in Arizona at a health retreat. Been to a Kid Rock Private party. Traveled to Vegas, Boston, NYC, and Denver in one week. Started (and failed!) at my own business. Did live corporate events for Ford and traveled all over the country. Interviewed baseball greats.

And I have discovered my life's purpose and mission at age 28.

I have a lot to be thankful for.

When I'm dying (if I am given any warning) and I look back on my life-there will be some regrets. But not doing what I wanted or being afraid to try new things, will not be one of them!

And hopefully, I will not let myself go health-wise like the characters did.


It's funny I watched that movie because my theme for a blog I was thinking was,"If not now, when?"

In other words, what do you use as an excuse to not eat healthier? I noticed myself saying, when I move (I'm moving in August) than I'll eat healthy. I'll be able to save money than. THAN I will be able to eat healthy.

But nothing is guaranteed!! How silly to say, When (insert excuse) this happens, I will do (insert healthy behavior).

How about NOW? Nothing is guaranteed but the present moment.

I don't want my reasons to turn to when I moved I will eat healthy, to when I have cancer I will eat healthy. When I have a serious illness. When I am obese. When I develop diabetes.

And sometimes, getting sick is what it takes to convince you to change. But I am challenging you today-how about just doing it NOW. Don't wait until you become sick!


And to finalize my weekend, this Sunday I went to the Concert of Colors in Detroit.

Detroit was alive with music and life. How fun!

People from all cultures dancing and enjoying each other. A beautiful sight. Music really is the universal language! If you have not checked out the Concert of Colors, it is every year. Don't miss next years!


Ok, time for bed!

No comments: