Wednesday, June 3, 2009

CASA

I heard about this organization and I think it's really great. I want to share it in the hopes that somebody reading will sign up to be a CASA! I am considering it, but my life is so unstable that I'd hate to break such an important commitment. I really want to do it, but I have to give this a lot of thought-if I do it, I'm going all out for whatever family I'd be assigned. I have never been a foster child, and in fact had a very good, loving family and childhood. However, we moved a lot and I was the youngest-so I know what it's like to move and be the new kid all the time, and to feel like nobody listens to you. I also have watched somebody who had a kid with a woman he is no longer with, and saw how the parents bounced him back and forth between their homes at whim whenever they felt like it. The poor kid had no stability for the first five years of his life-it was 3 days with daddy, 2 with mommy, 5 with daddy, 1 with mommy, 6 with daddy, 2 with mommy...you get the idea. I felt like nobody actually listened to him when he was upset...and there was NOTHING I could do about it. But with CASA, you are actually able to make a difference and stand up for children-and the judges will listen to you (or at least you can say you tried-and you will DEFINITELY make a difference in the child's life at least by showing them you are always there) If you are retired, or looking for volunteer work check out CASA:

http://www.nationalcasa.org/

No comments: