Saturday, April 18, 2009

If you are taking antibiotics read this!

Ok, so I'm sure antibiotics are good in SOME situations. Or maybe you are like me and you don't trust yourself to come up with a good plan if you don't do what your doctor prescribes you..but that being said, I think the next time I have to have antibiotics I'm going to eithe NOT take them, or be very careful. What I have found is that when I get off antibiotics I have a WORSE infection! It clears up the infection I had originally, but than I get another one. I found out recently that when you take antibiotics you need more probiotics. That makes sense! ANTI-biotics KILL the bad AND good PRObiotics, so make sure you add in more of the good PRObiotics if you are on any antibiotics! That way you will kill the bad infection, and keep your probiotics supply at a healthy level so you don't get any NEW infections. Gosh I wish my doctors would have told me this! But then, how could they prescribe me and make money off of the NEW infection I got?!

Grrr.

4 comments:

dhimas130184 said...

great tips, thanks for sharing.
see my blog please

smilinggreenmom said...

Fascinating stuff, isn't it? I have learned a lot in the past year or so about probiotics. Unfortunately, our four-year-old has dealt with food allergies and Eczema since he was born and it has been horrible for our whole family. Poor kid could hardly eat anything (just chicken, peas and rice) because everything made him break out. Docs could not help him either really. They said he "is a gray area" and kept pumping more high potent meds into him like oral steroids. We finally had an endocrinologist wean him off. Scary. BUT BUT BUT God heard our prayers and we found Vidazorb probiotics and OMG...they worked!!! His skin is near healed for 8 months now and he eats all kinds of food! He is a happy and healthy little guy all because of his Zorbees. It is amazing what good bacteria is capable of doing in our bodies. I loved your article though and how right you are...it does make sense to increase probiotics after taking an antibiotic! Thanks and Good Luck. Caroline
*sorry for looong post

Unknown said...

Antibiotics are way over prescribed in our society, but you're right that probiotics are necessary during and for up to 3 months after you take antibiotics. I definitely bulk up on yogurt (and I sprinkle my probiotic supplement Flora Source in it for extra boost) after a round of antibiotics. But, I'm with you...I try to refuse antibiotics whenever I can.
- Anna M

Alison said...

Glad to see so many people are aware of this! :)